I have been really worried about his 18 month shots because I know the MMR is a beast of a shot and judging from his reactions to "milder" vaccines I was really paranoid. I even put off his appointment until after Christmas because I just knew it would ruin our holidays. So in we went on Thursday (Jan8) and he survived the shots. He slept 14 hours that night without a peep and I thought *maybe* we were going to escape the horror... But it was not to be! He has since been up several times each night since, crying inconsolably, and has to be rocked back to sleep. And not just sleep-y, but the zombie sleep that comes after rocking for 30 minutes at 1 o'clock in the morning! And we have now gone two days with effectively no naps. He either screams until I come in and hold him while he sleeps, or he has a stinky diaper, loses his "banky" (blanket) or "mimi" (pacifier) and then insists on being rocked *again* and then refuses to go back in the crib. Last night he was so exhausted that he fell asleep at 6:30 p.m. with no screaming! I was foolishly optimistic that he would sleep through the night. No such luck, he was up at 11, and I could not get him back to bed until about 1:30 a.m. I even tried to bring him in bed with us, which we never do, but he thought it was play time like our morning snuggles and wouldn't settle down. I finally thought maybe he was hungry, since he hadn't eaten well all day, so I gave him a big sippy cup of milk and he finally fell back to sleep. *Whew*
Luckily I have a very sweet husband who let me sleep in until 8 a.m. when he had to leave for work. Anyway, there really isn't a point to this post except to elicit some sympathy from anyone who has had their share of sleepless nights, or to scare those of you who haven't! ;)
Since I hate to post without a picture, here is a picture of Sam after his 2 month shots. How fast he has grown up!
5 comments:
We went in for our 2 month shots yesterday and I thought we were having a hard time. Yours sounds so much worse. Brooklyn had a rough day but she slept fine and this morning she seems to be back to her smiley self. Good luck with Sam. I sure hate immunizations. :)
I am so sorry you have to deal with Sam getting up in the middle of the night. It is a good thing you don't live with my kids. I was up 4 times between 1 and 5 last night. And then Caleb was up to be fed at 5 and the girls out of bed at 6. WOW!! Exhausting just thinking about it. I think tonight I will go to bed early. Good luck with getting Sam to go to bed without rocking him. I hate that stage!
Thanks Ladies!
Oh Jenni, I don't think I could ever live your life, I think you will be sainted in the next life. You always inspire me to stay positive when things aren't going smoothly. I wouldn't mind getting up with him if I just knew it would pass. I always freak out and think it's going to happen for weeks. I need to stop getting ahead of myself and live in the moment.
Wow I'm truly sorry hang in there!
My kids have never done well with shots. Luckily, we are all done until they go into kindergarten! Hang in there..and try to sneak a nap in when you can!
Post a Comment