I'm starting this post with the good news, no children were harmed throughout the course of the day (even if their mother possibly considered bodily harm at some point).
The day began the same as any other, with a 7 a.m. wake-up call in the form of our precocious 4 yr-old. Breakfast and playtime, then hugs and kisses for Daddy when he left for work. Here we begin our tale of woe...
We have started (and I love) the tradition of standing at the front window and blowing kisses to Ben as he walks up the sidewalk to the Jeep. We used to have an end table between the couch and table, but it was sacrificed to make the room look more spacious. So now the kids stand on the arm of the couch, and lately Sam has taken to standing on the "counter" (you might know it as a windowsill). It was POURING this morning, so I opened the window so we could hear the rain. Everything was lovely, Sam looking out the window as we were singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" when disaster struck. Apparently Sam was pressing on the screen harder than I thought, and out it popped! Down goes the screen, and out the window goes Sam!!
Now, those of you who have been in our condo know that the ground is level with the bottom of the window, so be assured that no harm befell the startled kid. The screen however... it did not fare so well. At this point I'm not sure it can be repaired.
A small disappointment when G's playdate was canceled due to a stomach bug, but we got through it and things were quiet until after lunch.
Now, Sam is on antibiotics for a stubborn cold/ear infection and has had a hard time sleeping for the last month or so (yes I am tired, thanks for asking). So after one hour of his nap, he woke up with the most pitiful sobbing cry, so I went in and rocked him back to sleep. I grabbed the baby monitor and we headed over to play with some friends on the other side of the building. I love that the monitor works over there!
We had been there for about 45 minutes, when I hear our doorbell ring through the monitor, then Sam fussing. Arggggh! I was hoping maybe he would fall back to sleep, when the doorbell rings AGAIN. Now, most of the people around here have kids who nap in the afternoon, and they wouldn't think of ringing a doorbell in the middle of the day. So, then Sam starts to really cry, and I am more or less ticked at whoever is ringing the bell. I ran around to the door and see our neighbor walking away. We chat, he wants me to watch their 5 yr-old so him and his wife could go to some appt. Blech. I won't go into detail here (ask in person if you're curious) but I am leery of offering too much help to this family. It's a long, complicated story. Needless to say I had no desire to babysit and now Sam was awake and not likely to go back to sleep. *sigh*
Nicely enough after a short nap Sam was in a pretty good mood and we went back around to play with the kids again, and we all had a lovely afternoon together!
Then, as I was getting dinner ready, G was playing with his swimming floaty, and he sent it soaring across the room like a frisbee. I asked him not to do it again, and went back to dinner. Then, I hear a crash of glass. Isn't that amazing how you can distinguish the sounds of different materials breaking? So I walked around the corner to see my cute porcelain giraffe (Pier 1 on sale) in about 100 pieces. *sigh* Gabe is crying because he certainly didn't mean for that to happen, but I can't talk to him because I need to clean up all the pieces before Sam slices his foot open. Got that all cleaned up, and went to talk to Gabe about what happened. I told him I was more upset that he didn't listen than what happened to the giraffe, and that he needed to do what I ask, blah, blah, blah. He very sweetly offered his own ceramic giraffe to replace it until I could find a new one of my own. (awww)
So dinner is ready (cheese pizza, I know I'm such a gourmet cook) and things are good, everyone is eating for once, and then the last disaster. Gabe has taken to dipping his pizza in Garlic Butter (thank you Papa John's) and Ben was kind enough to grab a few leftovers from pizza lunch at work the other day. Just as he is stabbing a piece of pizza with his fork ( I know, but he doesn't like to get his hands dirty!) he slips and the plate, pizza and garlic sauce land on the carpet. Lovely, now our house will smell like a pizzeria for a few days. So out came the Bissell Little Green and 5 minutes later I think all the butter is out of the carpet.
Currently we are closing out the day, both boys in PJ's and snuggled in their beds. What a day! I don't think I have ever had a day when so many things went wrong. So I am happy to see this day come to a close and let's hope that the weekend will go a little more smoothly.
032823-SC-Mountain-Slide
-
The trees were often totally encompassed with new snow
and plenty of snow balls rolling down the slopes.
3 years ago
1 comment:
you've got to love it when a day like that ends. Sometimes the best part of the day is after the kids are snuggled in bed and you have a few moments of peace. :)
Post a Comment